Food                      Fabric                    Paper                    Holidays                    Decorating                   Giving                     

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Blankets of Love

This week I went to Salt Lake City, Utah to personally drop off the infant kits from my Birthdays Project. I was able to see the LDS Humanitarian Center for the first time.

I was amazed by all the work that is being done for people around the world. The Humanitarian Center gives tours with a movie at the end of the tour. Each row of the little theatre had a box of Kleenex. I lasted about 10 minutes through the movie without crying. Then, a ninenty year old woman talked about how she learned babies were being taken home from hospitals, wrapped in newspaper. She decided to make blankets for children all over the world. She showed how she hugs each blanket before she sends it off so when the children get the blanket, they can feel loved.

I made 11 receiving blankets.  I hope that the babies who receive their blankets in the infant kits feel loved. The Humanitarian Center volunteers were very happy to receive all the donations from the Birthdays Project. Thank you to everyone who helped.

6 comments:

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Heather I have tears welling up as I read your post. What a wonderful project you've done and how your are helping so many infants. I'm touched to have been a small part of this project and please let me know if you ever need help again. Your blankets are wonderful!

K Hutchinson said...

Dang it I have tears in my eyes now too! You are so wonderful to do such a great thing! HGUS!!!!!

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. My son is in 6th grade, and they are required to obtain community service hours. I asked him if he wanted to make these blankets. So that is what we are going to do this weekend. Great fun idea and something to feel good about!

Thanh Vo said...

You are so kind Heather. I am honored to have someone so thoughtful in my life!

Alison Gibbs said...

What a wonderful thing to do
Alison

Answer Print said...

Loved readinng this thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails