Food                      Fabric                    Paper                    Holidays                    Decorating                   Giving                     

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Curtain to Cute Apron Transformation

This week, We Grow By Our Dreams is celebrating Red and White Week. All week I'll be featuring crafts, food and other fun stuff as a tribute to the red and white color combo. To kick off the week I have a quick, inexpensive and easy sewing project for you to make for yourself or to give as a gift. Introducing. . . .

The Curtain Apron
You'll need:
1  Curtain panel with rod pocket
1  17" piece of 1/2" elastic
Safety pin
2  36"x 4" strips of fabric for ties
pins, scissors and sewing machine

First, choose a really cute curtain. I bought mine at an estate sale. Usually these panels come in a set but this beauty was a loner. I love the ruffle and the embroidered flowers. You may have a kitchen curtain you'd like to retire or you may find a great one at a garage sale or on clearance somewhere.
Second, find a cute coordinating fabric for your straps. I had some red and white check fabric in my stash. Cut the fabric into two 1 yard by 4 inch strips.
Third, fold over your strips lengthwise (right sides together) and sew the open sides 1/4" from the edge.
Now, flip each tie inside out and tuck one end in 1/2 inch inside and sew shut. Leave the other end unfinished.
Next, with a safety pin on one end of elastic piece, thread through top pocket of curtain, gathering as you go.
Finish by sewing the elastic piece and the unfinished edge of each tie to the inside of each end of the rod pocket. It helps to pin in place.

There you go, the Curtain Apron. If you try it, please leave a comment with your link and any suggestions you may have to improve it.

Please play along. If you have something red and white to share, please leave a comment below. It could be something on your blog or a find from another website. Share the red and white love.
Thank you for stopping by today.

5 comments:

pescbrico said...

Really cute and clever!! Have a a great day.

Mrs. Fence said...

I love this idea! And such a cute curtain. I never would have thought of this! Thanks for the tip. PS You look fabulous in it!!!

Thanh Vo said...

Youre as cute as a button, Heather! Hugs.

Tami Bayer said...

Love the whole red and white week, but this one takes the cake! I never in my life thought of using a curtain to make an apron. It's completely adorable. I need to go out thrifting for curtains now!

Suzi said...

Heather- I had a great idea to put your idea to use for a wedding recetion. I saw all these lace curtains at a thrift store (I will have to take you there when you come to Salt lake again, LOL). I thought they would make cute aprons for the little girls clearing plates off the table. I was in a hurry and didn't get the curtains, but will check it out again. I even thought of using an old tablecloth that has stains on part. You are inspiring me to get busy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails