This is Month 1 of We Grow By Our Dream's 12 Months of Giving. Every month WGBOD will feature a fun and easy way to make a difference in our community.
Month 1: Giving to Animal Shelters
|My dog Moses was abandoned in a field as a puppy.|
There are so many ways that we can help animals in need. You can contact your local shelter to find out their specific needs but below is a list of many things that will be appreciated by most animal shelters.
1. Pet items. This includes leashes, toys, pet beds, flea treatments, pet bowls, and unopened pet food. You may have extra pet items in your home or you may stumble across a great deal out there.
2. Your time. The shelters are always looking for volunteers to help walk dogs, pass out information, and help at fundraisers and adoption drives. This is a great project for big kids too.
3. Used linens. Animals love having a warm, dry place to sleep. Shelters need towels, blankets, pillows, placemats (the vinyl ones are great for cats), tablecloths, flannel sheets, etc.
|My recent shelter donation of a down duvet and pillows|
5. Kitty Litter and newspapers. You can only imagine how much the shelters use.
6. Money. This seems obvious but with local government funding down, the shelters are really struggling to provide for the animals. Usually these donations are tax-deductible and sometimes employers can match your donations. Get the kids involved and have a garage sale or lemonade stand to raise some money for your shelter.
This list is just a sample of items needed by animal shelters. Again, it is best to contact your community shelter to find out its needs.
Moses says thank you for helping his friends. :P